I’m not really a breakfast person. I know it’s the most important meal of the day but I normally don’t wake up hankering for a big meal. It takes me a couple hours or so to acclimate to the idea of being awake and really all I want is coffee. Caffeine, please.
I think I like the idea of breakfast, rather than the breakfast itself. Sitting around the table peeling at our foil wrapped breakfast tacos is plain comradery. Egg & cheese on corn, extra salsa; just in case you ever want to get me a breakfast taco.
Last week a random craving for a leisurely breakfast morning and a lone bottle of Jameson (used for my Irish Coffees.) equalled Banana Whiskey French Toast.
- Whole Grain Bread, I used about 4 or 5 slices.
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon of Jameson
- 1 Tablespoon of Almond Milk
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1 Super Ripe Banana, Mashed
- In a bowl, add all ingredients except for the bread & whisk.
- Take a non stick skillet, & heat over medium low heat. Spray it.
- Take a slice of bread & dunk it into the egg mixture.
- Using a fork, try to get those mashed banana pieces soaked into the bread.
- Place the slice on to the skillet. I cooked two slices at a time.
- Patience is the key with this french toast. Give it time to cook on each side. Don't rush the process. When it's ready, flip it over on the other side with a spatula & let it finish cooking.
- Move cooked french toast to a plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar & place a small pat of butter on the side. I used Earth Balance.
- Serve with maple syrup (the REAL stuff).
I poured my maple syrup into a small ramekin & added about a teaspoon of whiskey to it. It was delicious.