Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal
Oatmeal is the blank canvas of the culinary world. Almost everything can pair with it. Why do you think so many flavors exist? By itself oatmeal lends a subtle nutty flavor. It’s slightly salty, slightly sweet. It’s chewy & moist with an almost custard-like texture. All of these characteristics make it the perfect vehicle for sweet treats. Sweet treats like brownies.
Under normal circumstances, a brownie for breakfast is the ultimate faux pas. It’s just not a wise choice. Sure it will satisfy you in the short term, but give yourself 30 minutes. Your blood sugar will be jacked up like a chihuahua on crack.
But some days a brownie for breakfast just makes sense. Some days require that decadent beginning that only a brownie can provide. What’s a girl to do? Easy. Turn to your good pal oatmeal. Crumble your brownie all over the top of a steaming bowl. We’ve just established he plays well with everyone.
In this healthy recipe, the oatmeal is sweetened naturally with a ripe banana. A scoop of unsweetened cocoa powder rounds out the chocolate flavor without turning your breakfast into a sugary disaster. The best part of all? Each bite is speckled with delicious brownie chunks. I used a leftover brownie from the superbowl seen here, but any brownie will do this justice.
- 1/2 c. Rolled Oats
- 1 c. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 Ripe Banana, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Small Brownie
- NOTE: I made mine in the microwave to save on time, but for a creamier result follow stovetop directions.
- In microwave safe bowl add oats, milk, cocoa powder, banana, & vanilla extract.
- Place bowl in microwave for 3 minutes on HIGH. Cover bowl with paper towel.
- Using pot holders, remove bowl from microwave & stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Crumble brownie on top.